TITLE: Associate Artist, Hothouse
TIMESCALE: February 2016- March 2017
FIXED FEE: £4000 inclusive of expenses
Hothouse is looking to appoint an Associate artist to join the Hothouse Creative Team for the Hothouse project throughout 2016. Hothouse will culminate with a performance of Give Me Back My Broken Night by Uninvited Guests which the artist will collaborate with the company on. We are looking for someone who is energetic, willing to think creatively, work with others and really challenge and push boundaries of what a public space could/should be in the 21st Century.
- We are looking for an artist who has a drawing practice, for example, illustrator, graphic artist or visual artist.
- Ideally comfortable using a graphics tablet in black and white (and have access to a tablet you can use), preferably in isomorphic 3D, but we are open to different styles.
- To find creative ways of documenting different parts of the Hothouse project in discussion with the team.
- To illustrate live during the performance of Give Me Back My Broken Night at the end of the project. You will listen to conversations between a performer and audience member about a building or structure they imagine, and sketch the most accurate interpretation of what you hear.
We are particularly but not exclusively interested in receiving submissions from those whose practice:
- Involves community
- Early career artists/practitioners
- Experience of or interest in working with young people
What is Hothouse?
Hothouse is an artist led development project for and at Deptford Lounge, running from December 2015 for 16 months. Funded by Arts Council England, the project will establish a high-profile resident artistic company who will co-create a programme of quality events and participatory arts activities with visitors, local artists and resident groups. The programme will shape and enhance the role Deptford Lounge can play as a key cultural resource now and for future generations.
Hothouse will build on the current programme of activity and the creativity already beginning to flourish at Deptford Lounge, by deepening involvement of local communities and residents in co-creating the future programme. It will inspire new work, reach and draw in new audiences and use currently underutilised spaces in and around Deptford Lounge, focusing on the theme of ‘Future Deptford’.
Deadline for Applications: Wednesday 3 February 12 noon
Interviews will be held: Thursday 18 February and Monday 22 February
For an informal conversation about the role please contact: Debra McGee, Hothouse Creative Producer, 0208 314 7270 or 07944 666388.
For further information visit the Hothouse webpage.